Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

9.13.2009

nyfw: alexander wang - spring 2010.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
Umm whose been taking Alexander Wang to sporting events? Specifically football games?

That was my initial thought when I laid eyes on Alexander Wang's Spring 2010 collection. The references to sports revealed itself in subtle and not so ways. Honestly, when I saw the first look I thought about under armor and knee socks, jock straps and football helmets. Take a look at old pictures of football games circa the 1950's and 60's, and I'm pretty sure you'd feel the same way I'm feeling right now. Perplexed.

This summer, and especially going into this fall, has proven that Alexander Wang doesn't need to give a single thought to what the economy is doing. His stuff is flying of racks. While brands like Ungaro are taking drastic measures to increase their sales by adding off the wall celebrities to their payroll (like asking Lindsey Lohan to be you "artistic director". GAG), Alexander doesn't seem to need that, even though is muse and friend is the hipster queen herself, Erin Wasson.

This season, athletic inspiration and all, Alexander Wang showed us what Gap would look like on crack. Actually fashionable. I was amused by all the looks equally, but what stood out to me the most was the black varsity jacket, the asymmetrical leather shorts on Freja, and THOSE SHADES! I was looking forward to what he had to offer in the sunnies category seeing as this is the first time he's created them. I. DIE.

Overall, it's a cool collection. Despite my earlier questioning of his obvious sporting inspirations (hey, lets make football fashionable!), I'm sure I'll be placing a few items on my wish list. Like that caramel brown leather jacket, those khaki/sweat pant lovechild creation, and that sheer sweatshirt. See the longing has already begun...

1 comment:

  1. i'm not crazy about this collection but some things I would definitely get if i had the money haha.i like the cut outs and mesh details.



    yes, i do custom made tees,i actually sent you an e-mail too but i'm not sure if you got it :)

    ReplyDelete

opinions are like assholes. leave it.

wibiya widget