Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

8.10.2009

rant & rave: celebrities are killing fashion.

Photobucket
I've thought about writing my feelings down on the subject for awhile now, but every time I put my fingers to my laptops keyboard, all that comes out is an angry mirage of swear words and obscenities. Now that I'm coming down from my caffeine high, I can responsibly display my feelings on this touchy subject. This doesn't mean there won't be swear words. What the hell do you expect?

In my opinion, there is no doubt in my mind that celebrities are murdering the creative aspect of fashion now a days. Seems like you can't sell anything without some big name being attached to it. I blame the media, I blame celebrities, but most of all, I blame society. People are so quick to jump and grab something with a name on it. The lines for the Yeezy's were out of this world, but why? Was it because of the design, or was it because the infamous Kanye West created them? If they had been made by a no name Nike designer, do you think people of all ages would have been climbing in each other to get a pair? I doubt it highly.

Now a days after you've achieved a certain level of celebrity, it seems like people are looking towards branding themselves in the most obvious of ways. Of course let's get you a clothing line Beyonce. Right this way Kanye, Louis Vuitton is waiting for you. People would LOVE a Kim Kardashian perfume. GAG.

It makes me angry because with this over saturation of fashion going on right now, where does that leave room for the people who study this art form? Does it leave room for those who have dreampt of the day they can work for a designer, let alone have their own line? Does it leave room for me, a person whose life goal is to one day work for a fashion magazine, only to see tweets that some no name rapper is interning for the likes of Vogue and GQ? I think celebrities are greedy. When one does something, they all do it. When everyone and their mother has a clothing line, a perfume, and a shoe named after them, what room is that going to leave for true creativity?

Celebrity driven products are blurring the lines of creativity. There's no evolution to fashion anymore. No creativity, nothing unique. We see the same things, the same ideas, and the same people pushing them. There aren't any new faces in the limelight, no real talent. The ones that are trying to get there are forced to get on this marketing band wagon with promises of a one way ticket to success.

I'm sure there are some who won't share my views and opinions on this subject, but I guess that's the beauty of it all. I'm just tired of no one putting it out there. Media, especially some blogs are the main cosigners of this tragedy. We regard Kanye West interning at the Gap as important fashion news, when his spot may be taking away from a design student who has the credentials and appropriate talent for the job. I find that to be shocking and rather sad.

So there, I said it. Call me a hater if you'd like, but I won't be the asshole in line to get a pair of Yeezy khakis or a Dereon hoodie.

So sue me...
(pictures via Trenddoll)
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I actually agree with you! I read that quote the other day on here from Louise Wilson and its true. I was thinking, that maybe it's because fashion is so accessible now in terms of you don't have to live in New York to buy from Barneys, you can get it online. Or if you want those Balmain sandals, guess what? Stores A, B, C, and D have a knock-off that isn't illegal just for you. The celeb creations are also getting in the way of creativity and raw talent. I feel that Kanye West and the likes of Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen are fine with me having a line or learning about fashion by interning, because they are known for having a real fashion sense. But all these other celebs "creating", and it looks like nothing, it is just a name, yes its irritating!

    ReplyDelete

opinions are like assholes. leave it.

wibiya widget