Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

8.20.2010

for colored girls who have considered suicide when finding out tyler perry was directing this film| numero dos.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide when the Rainbow isn't Enuf, the choreopoem by Ntozake Shange is a brilliant piece of work. So brilliant in fact, that when I find myself reading it once a year, I'm inspired in the same manner as when I first read it back when I was only sixteen years young. When someone mentioned to me a year ago that they were turning one of my favorite pieces of literature into a major motion picture I squealed. Literally. Then, when that same someone mentioned Tyler Perry would be directing I groaned. Literally.

I know he's the token right now among Hollyhood's brightest and biggest directors, but as I've said before he's garbage. I mean, ok, so he can touch a black woman's heart like no one's been able to in recent years, but seriously, what black woman are we talking about? He's not touching my heart. He's giving me a headache. In my mind he creates movies based off stereotypes, most of which I've spent a large portion of my life dispelling. Not every black woman is angry. We all aren't baby mamas or depend on a bullshit men. We all aren't crazy. We all don't have the "Big Mama" mentality, nor do the whole lot of us enjoy being displayed as such beings.

Although Tyler Perry makes me want to stick a couple of fingers down my throat, the cast selection for this film is outstanding. Loretta Devine? Yes. Phylicia Rashad? YES. Kerry Washington, Thandi Newton, Janet Jackson, and Kimberly Elise? ABSOLUTELY.

Maybe I'm being too harsh. Or too cynical. Or maybe even too judgmental. But then again, what the hell do I know? No one seems to portray the plight of the black woman like TP. Ugh.
[via]

1 comment:

  1. For the most part I agree with you. But you have to give him some credit. He owns his own studio and he's giving black actors and singers work in movies, television and on the stage. Not too many other people are doing that. Yes, his work for the most part is stereotypical, but he has a wide range of characters which is why he can relate to everyone, i.e. Meet The Browns (t.v. show).

    ReplyDelete

opinions are like assholes. leave it.

wibiya widget